Thursday, October 20, 2011

WK8 Gestalt



A roommate and I were to figure out how many triangles made up this cat:


My roommate did not write or touch the paper. He only looked at it and counted 20 triangles. A very smart man. However, he asked another roommate to check his answer.

I was a much more visual learner and traced triangles as I saw them. I initially counted 18, and then recounted 20.

We both used a law of closure to differentiate sizes of triangles and other triangles within each other.

We decided to figure out what month was indicated by these shapes:
Again, he did not draw on the paper but looked at it for a good five minutes and then folded the paper in half to show "July" being reflected on a horizontal axis of symmetry.


I initially traced a D-e-C for "December" for the first three shapes but it didn't figure anything. After fifteen minutes I gave up, came back after five minutes, and asked my roommate what the answer was. Apparently I have poor symmetrical visualization.

In the last puzzle, we both had to utilize the law of symmetry to figure out the puzzle.



No comments:

Post a Comment